The African Penguin Incubator Project (PIP) is a project created to support our partners at SANCCOB (The Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds). African penguin eggs and chicks are often abandoned by molting parents or extreme weather events caused by climate change. In the last 16 years, SANCCOB has hand reared over 9,300 African penguin chicks with over 81% successfully released back into the wild. In 2022 over 400 penguin eggs and 400 chicks have been admitted to SANCCOB with more on the way. PIP aims to encourage individuals to purchase unique digital collectibles that are tied to real-life incubators in South Africa to save abandoned penguin eggs and chicks at SANCCOB.
How Can I Get Involved?
If you are interested in purchasing a digital collectible to gain exclusive access to the African penguin colony field notes you can mint your digital collectible at https://tokenpenguin.world/species/African
What is a Digital Collectible?
We’re so glad you asked! The digital penguin collectibles are Non-Fungible Tokens, also referred to as NFT’s. They are cryptographic assets that exist on a blockchain. NFTs have unique identification codes and metadata making them absolutely unique! Similar to owning an artistic painting that you keep in your home- except your NFT lives on the internet AND it’s tied to a real world penguin conservation project! The digital collectibles have an inherent value of $50 and is for entertainment purposes only. When you purchase one the rest of the donation is tax deductible in which you’ll receive a receipt. Did we mention that you also are supporting a real incubator in South Africa and helping SANCCOB’s abandoned eggs and chicks?
When You Purchase a Digital Collectible You Get:
- An AI generated penguin image that represents one of the 9 African Penguin colonies that you are supporting.
- A digital image of one of the penguins from the colony you selected
- A login and token (https://ethden.page.link/cc )that allows privileged access to Colony information such as location description, other species in the area, quarterly penguin updates from SANCCOB rangers and rehabbers, and media of the rescued penguins.
How to Sponsor an Incubator
- Visit TokenPeguin.world (https://tokenpenguin.world/species/African) to explore the 9 colonies in Africa that are being supported by the Katie Adamson Conservation Fund.
- Select a colony. Keep in mind, your financial contribution helps support all of the colonies but your digital images will be from the one colony that you select. Your special access to privileged information will also include all nine colonies.
- Click the blue “support ..” button above the AI Penguin image for that colony.
- Click the “Purchase Digital Collectible” button .
- Click the “Pay with Credit or Debit Card” or “Pay with Crypto” button (note the crypto option will be live on December 9th)
- In the Stripe Checkout page, enter your card information or use your saved information with stripe and click the blue “Pay” button.
- Click the purple “Run Incubator” button to request that your digital collectible is minted. It takes about 2 minutes to complete the process and between 15 and 45 minutes for your collectible to show up in your wallet.
- You can view your collectibles at https://tokenpenguin.world/user-collection
Unable To Support An Incubator, But Still Want To Support Penguins?
Purchasing a penguin chick digital collectible supports Penguins International’s ongoing penguin conservation efforts and the mission to protect penguins to protect the planet. Hatch your egg NFT and see which penguin you get! You can mint your penguin chick for $18 at https://tokenpenguin.world/